The credential can be stamped in:
–Town Hall: Plaza La Paz, 1
(923 56 00 01 / 648 19 32 11)
Town’s hall hostel (923 56 00 01 o 648 19 32 11). Free, donations accepted.
Private accommodation here
In Mancera de Abajo, Saint John of the Cross and Saint Teresa found support to start the reform of the Carmelite Order.
Luis Álvarez de Toledo, IV Lord of Mancera, suggested to move the male order from Duruelo to Mancera and, Teresa and John, agreed. In this way, the Order was installed in Mancera on 11th June 1570.
This is how Saint Teresa narrates the events in her book of Foundations, chapter 14:
“Among them was one Don Luis, Lord of five villas: this gentleman had built a church for an image of our Lady, worthy indeed of veneration […].
Father Antonio de Jesús, having gone there at the gentleman’s request, was so taken with the picture when we saw it (and very justly so), that he consented to found a monastery there: the place is called Mancera, though it had no well-water, nor was there any likelihood of any being obtained there. This gentleman built a small house for them (suitable to their profession), and gave them furniture and many other things”
Saint Maravillas de Jesús, who founded some monasteries of the Carmelite Order, decided to rebuild the convent in Mancera with a community of nuns. In 1943, Saint Maravillas measured the plot from the old convent to start the new foundation, opened on December 1, 1944.